Woodfin Power Plant
Sign the Woodfin
Who to contact
Asheville City Council
Tuesday, Sept. 15, 7-9 pm
Doors open at 6:30
Randolph Learning Center
90 Montford Ave. Asheville
Duke Rate increase hearing to subsidize CLIFFSIDE!
Thursday, Sept. 17, 7 pm
(Pre-hearing rally at 6 pm)
McDowell County Courthouse
Main and Court St.
THE WOODFIN POWER PLANT WAS VOTED DOWN!
Thank you to the Board for their wisdom and courage. And a BIG thank you to the citizens for participating in this process.
YOUR VOICE COUNTS!
PROGRESS ENERGY’S PROPOSED OIL-BURNING POWER PLANT
• NC A Leader in Toxic Air Emissions - article
• Read the Ground Lease between Buncombe County and Progress
1) Why is there no provision for the land to revert back to the County in the event the plant is not built?
2) When we asked the County attorney who wrote the lease, he said, "I don't know." How could he NOT have that information? And why was he not directly involved in creating this document?
3) Who's looking out for the best interest of the citizens of Buncombe County?
4) Why is the lease dated January 3, when the Public Hearing was January 16?
• Read Mountain Express article by Cecil Bothwell, What Price Progress?
THE NEXT STEP:
We will continue to monitor the situation and advise of any new plans that Progress announces. We are still waiting for answers to the questions about the status of the lease that we submitted to County Commissioners on April 2.
IT'S 2007 ... THERE ARE ALTERNATIVES! GET INVOLVED!
Conservation and proven energy efficient technologies exist to generate our power needs from renewable sources while keeping our air clean. Sign the online PETITION here. Print a copy and ask friends and neighbors to sign!
OUR MOST POWERFUL TOOLS ARE OUR VOICES AND PENS!
If you are opposed to the Woodfin power plant, start writing to everyone on
this list and let them know.
Get a copy of the 'BURNING OIL ISN'T PROGRESS' poster for your store or office! Choose the one you like best ... just click and print
FOR A COMPLETE UPDATE ON THE POWER PLANT ISSUE, READ REBECCA BOWE'S ARTICLE
MOUNTAIN EXPRESS ARTICLE - COMMENTS AT COMMISSIONER'S MEETING - 2-28-07.
CITIZEN RESOLUTION TO RESCIND COUNTY COMMISSIONERS
DECISION OF JANUARY 16. Download here.
For information and to sign up for News and Action Alerts, email us.
Or call 828-255-8537.
**Global Warming - Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change - 2007
WE RAISED OUR BANNERS!
Weaverville Hwy. and Baird Cove Rd., directly across from Gerald’s Fireplace Restaurant